The Court Report – Tuesday January 19th. 2021

Husband admit to beating wife and harming her step-son-Fined more than a grand – but lucky to not be jail”

by Anita Nembhard-Flowers
Belize City, Tues. Jan. 19, 2021

A husband who ended up before the court on three criminal charges admit to beating up his wife of over five years and harming her son, who happens to be his step-son.

53-year-old Rudolph Dawson, a Plummer of Belize City was arraign on 3 counts, common assault and insulting words upon his wife, Jolene O’Brien Dawson and one count of harm upon her son, Tyrone Lino.

The family dispute ended in the wife being assaulted physically by her husband who in the end caused harm to his step-son; who he claim attacked him with a knife when he saw the altercation with his mother.

Dawson who has been in custody since the incident occurred on Saturday, January 16, 2020 told court that the family issues stem back more than 5 years ago since he has been married to his wife and since he Dawson’s three children.

He claim he was at a wake for his sister-in-law who passed away a week ago, where he and his wife were drinking and later they got into an argument, which Dawson says was “Wah lee misunderstanding.”

Dawson said his step son jumped in during an argument with his wife and attacked him with a fork.

Dawson said he told his step-son to stay out of his business with his mother and that’s when things got worst.

He admitted that he had choke his wife and had her pin down against the wall and when her son jumped in, he held his hand and bend it up to ward him off.

His son ended up with a few scratches and a cut wound to his left middle finger.

In court Dawson admitted he was wrong but told the court that the incident of discipline stems from more than five years ago as he claim the children father from his wife previous relationship had given him permission to discipline the children but it has been and uphill battle for the past few years.

He told the court the best thing for him now is to move out of the house and allow healing to occur.

He promised Magistrate Gillett that something like that won’t happen again as he is taking this period whilst in custody to cool off. He claim he will move out of the house he shares with his wife and her 3 children and return back to his grand mothers home where he use to live.

Since Dawson is a first time offender, Magistrate, Gillett impose a fine of $205, $105, and $705, for common assault, insulting words and harm. That’s a total of $1,015.00.
Dawson has until March 31, 2021 to pay the first two fines and until April 1, 2021 to pay the largest fine in default, 2 months, one month and 7 months imprisonment respectively.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.