The Court Report – December 4th.

Lords Bank Video That Went Viral – Case Comes To Court

A man that the police tried to arrest during an altercation at a Lords bank Supermarket plead guilty in court today and was fined a whapping $1,000 for assault of cop!

by Anita Nembhard-Flowers
Belize City, Fri. Dec. 4, 2020

Tonight a Security Guard of the Lords Bank area, who was seen on a video that went viral when police tried to detain him is lucky to be out on a fine and not jail time.

That’s because when O’Brien appeared this afternoon around 12:00 noon before Magistrate, Stephanie Gillett, he wasted no time and pleaded guilty to the charges of resisting arrest upon PC, #1920, Wallace Meighan, using obscene language and assaulting a police officer. O’Brien told the court he had an explanation for his actions.

O’Brien explained to the court that he came to the aid of another worker who he felt the police approached wrongly over him not having on a mask at the time they passed the shop.

O’Brien said that he tried to explain to the officers why the man was not wearing a mask and that he was doing construction work which was restricting him from breathing so he took off the mask for a short while and was talking with the boss on the job.

He said that while he admitted to uttering an obscene language, he was not saying it to the police and what got him upset is when the police grabbed him on his shoulder after he walked away and reportedly said the obscene language.

He admitted to being wrong when he placed the police officer PC Meighan in a head choke, but claim the officer was not being professional executing his duties.

In court, Magistrate Gillett explained to him that she cannot condone his actions and that two wrong does not make a right hence why she fine him $1,000 plus $5.00 cost of court for assaulting a police officer.

He was also fine $300 plus $5.00 for resist arrest but the charge of using obscene language was withdrawn by the crown since the Supreme court had rule that the word ‘f_ _ k’ is no longer considered an obscene language but view more like an old cliche used by many.

The incident took place at the Lords Bank Supermarket on Wednesday, December 2, 2020.

Accoridng to police, they saw a male who was not wearing a mask and approached him and informed him of the offense when O’Brien intervene and began acting aggressive towards them.

O’Brien has until February 28, 2021to pay all his fines in default 3 months for resisting arrest and one year for assaulting the police officer.

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .

Man pleads guilty to burglarizing his ex-boss home and stealing his items and selling it to pay his rent and food for his family!

by Anita Yvonne Nembhard-Flowers
Belize City, Fri. Dec. 4, 2020

Tonight a Belize City Fisherman is serving a 3 years sentence for burglary after he was unable to pay half of the money ordered by the court forthwith after he pleaded guilty to burglarizing his ex-boss home.

46-year-old Iyon Staine, a resident of #6738 Aloevera Street, Belize City appeared before Magistrate, Stephanie Gillett in Court#3 where he was read a single charge of burglary.

Allegations are that on Friday, October 9, 2020 between the hours of 5:00p.m., and 8:00 p.m., he entered as a trespasser, the dwelling home of Egberto Garcia, located on Flamboyant Street, Belize City and stole, one red weed wacker value $1,069.00 along with a black 19 inch flat screen television value $250.00, all to a total of $1,319.00.

Neither of the stolen items were ever received by police because according to Staine, he sold the items for money because he needed to pay his rent and provided his family with food.

Magistrate Gillett was not please with his actions for breaking into his ex-boss house and stealing his items then selling them.

Staine tried to explain in court why he did it claiming Garcia owed him $440 for work he did when he was employed by him but refuse to pay him.

Staine admitted his actions were wrong and apologized for what he did and begged the court for leniency.

Magistrate Gillett wanted to impose a custodial sentence but instead she temper justice with mercy and gave Staine a fine of $3,000 plus a $5.00 cost or court.
The leniency was because he had no previous conviction for burglary.

But Staine found himself in more trouble with the law when the court ordered that he must paid half of the fine imposed today forthwith which amounted to $1,500, and the balance by January, 30, 2020 but he could not meet the court order. Staine also was in debt to the court in the sum of $3,030 for two other separate convictions which was due to be paid by August 7, 2020 and the other from back in 2017.

So when he was unable to pay the old and new fines, a warrant was prepare for him to serve the fines in prison term which amount to over 3 years in default of payment.